What things do I need to provide for my classes?
To use Canvas and Zoom, you will need access to a computer (preferred) or mobile device with internet access. This is a list of basic system requirements.
- Screen Size. Canvas and Zoom are best viewed at a minimum screen size of 11+ inches. If you want to use a device with a smaller screen, we recommend using the mobile apps for Canvas and Zoom
- Operating Systems
- macOS 10.13 or newer (Interlochen recommends Apple products)
- Windows 10
- Apple iOS or Android
- Computer Speed and Processor
- Use a Mac 5 years old or newer, or other device 3 years old or newer if possible
- 4GB of RAM
- 2GHz processor
- Internet Speed
- Minimum of 1.5Mbps download and 800Kbps upload
How do I access my classes?
Students will engage with instructors in real-time, using Zoom video conferencing technology, and they access program materials through our Learning Management System, Canvas.
When will I get access to Canvas?
A few days prior to the start of the program. You will receive information via the personal email address that you enter when you register for the program.
What do I need to do once I'm granted access to Canvas?
Once you are granted access to Canvas, you will:
- Check out the College Audition Boot Camp course, as it will have some Canvas basics and training resources available for you. It will have a "Get to Know Each Other" discussion board for you to post on prior to and throughout the program
- Select your private coaching session time (instructions for this will be in your private coaching course, as well as the College Audition Boot Camp course)
How will I sign up for my private coaching session?
When you are granted access to Canvas, you will see your private coaching course on your course dashboard. You will follow the instructions in your Canvas training (which are also included in each private coaching course for reference) to select your coaching time from the instructor's available time slots on the Canvas calendar.
Will I be able to choose my private coaching instructor?
Students will be assigned a private coaching instructor. Due to the varying availability and capacity of each instructor, students are unable to request a particular instructor. All of our instructors are excellent and well-regarded, teaching with Interlochen Arts Academy, Interlochen Arts Camp, and/or institutions of higher education.
How will I access Zoom?
You will access Zoom through Canvas. All of your Zoom links can be accessed through your Canvas calendar. When you are first granted access to Canvas, some of the Zoom links for your courses may not be set up yet. That is okay. Everything will be ready for you by the first day of class.
What can I expect to see when I get access to Canvas?
When you get into Canvas, you will click on Dashboard on the left to see all of your courses. For Interlochen Online, you will have:
- Your main program course for College Audition Boot Camp — this is where your onboarding materials will be and where you will find general information and resources
- Your private coaching course
Courses are typically still under construction until a day or two prior to the start of class. There is a lot to get ready to make sure this is a great experience for you; rest assured that everything will be ready by your first day of class.
What days do I have class?
The College Audition Boot Camp takes place Mar. 18-21. The course schedule is as follows (all times Eastern):
INDIVIDUALLY SCHEDULED - 50-minute private lesson/coaching session
Thursday, Mar. 18
Note parents are welcome to attend all of the Thursday sessions.
- 6:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. - Opening Session
- 7:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. - Q&A with Deans of College Admission: Get Advice from College Decision-makers
- 8:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. - Selecting and Funding the Right College for You
Friday, Mar. 19
- 6:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. - Stand Out and Get In: Writing a Great College Essay, Resume and Application
- 7:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. - Audio and Video Recording to Optimize Audition Success
- 8:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. - Performance Anxiety and Silencing Your Inner Critic
Saturday, Mar. 20
Note there are two College Advising Work Group sessions; you do not need to attend both, please feel free to attend whichever works best for you.
- 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. - College Advising Work Group
- 12:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. - Mastering Audition Requirements (separate sessions for Music and Theatre)
- 3:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. - College Advising Work Group
- 4:00 pm - 5:00 pm - Preparing for Your Audition: Developing Practice Techniques or Portfolio Do's and Don'ts (separate sessions for Music and Theatre)
Sunday, Mar. 21
Note there are two Mock Audition Practices; these are optional but if you are planning to attend, you do not need to attend both; please feel free to attend whichever works best for you.
- 11:00 am - 12:00 pm - Mock Audition Practice (OPTIONAL)
- 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm - Mock Audition Practice (OPTIONAL)
- 1:00 pm - Mock Audition Showcase
How will Mock Auditions work?
On Sunday, Mar. 21, students will have the option to attend one of the Mock Audition Practice sessions. Starting at 1:00 pm, the Mock Audition showcases will begin. Students will receive a scheduled time slot and Zoom link prior to Sunday for their specific audition.
How can I see my schedule?
You will see all of your classes and other obligations/opportunities on your Canvas calendar, including your private coaching session once you sign up for that.
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org